Thursday, July 31, 2008



as a woman, i feel lucky that i get to use makeup on a daily basis if i choose to. i know some women hate it, but i don't.

i love everything about makeup. i know i'm not alone. i remember my sister-in-law plunking down her ginormouse makeup tackle box in front of me one day. it was loaded with every kind of color and tool you could ever imagine. she laughed about how ridiculous it was that she had such an extraordinary amount of makeup, but i was in awe.

whenever my friend sharon and i see each other, we sit on the bed and spread our makeup out. we try out each other's colors and talk about life. it's a ritual we started when we were college roommates and we do it to this day.

now i watch the p.b. kid's fascination with makeup. i've taught her how to unconditionally love all things mac and smashbox and she teaches me about other lines of makeups and different ways of applying them. and probably one day when she's my age, her daughter will be teaching her...and maybe me also if i'm lucky enough to live that long.

2 comments:

clover said...

I hope that one day PB Kid will find a sister, as I did, and that she will be blessed with the comfort of old rituals and frivolous chatter.

There's something about a bag of makeup that insists you put away your cares and fully embrace being a woman.

Tracy said...

This reminds me of when I gave PBK a lipgloss when she was around 12. It was supposed to be "clove tea" flavored and I noticed her smelling it and inhaling deeply. I said, "You like it?" and started to tell her what the scent was, and she said "Yeah! It smells just like baloney!" Tee-hee. . .back then the little girl in her still showed up in little bursts. Doncha miss those days?