Tuesday, September 16, 2008

self portrait tuesday

september's challenge is contrast



in february of 2007, i decided that it was time for me to take some weight off. 15 months and 130 pounds later, i reached my goal. and although it has been one of the most gratifying things i have ever accomplished, i struggle everyday with contrasts. the contrast between how i make sense of this different physical body of mine and how others see me. the contrast between what my eyes are trying to make sense of and what my head has always told me i looked like.

because now, they don't match up. no, not at all. it's one of the biggest contrasts and challenges i have ever faced.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Tell me how you did it, please...

dawn said...

sheer determination! plus exercise (nothing crazy, just aerobic and a little strength work), smaller portions and simple foods like lean meats, vegetables and fruit. i think my body was just ready for it and my mind finally caught up with that! :)

Jeremy Stockwell said...

Great job -- congratulations!

Jessy, Greg, Grace, Jack, Nora, and Lexi said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you! What a great feeling isn't it, to be putting on the "skinny" jeans again! Woohooo!! Way to go girl on achieveing your goal! :)

lisa said...

wow! amazing!

Sandra Lundy said...

Oh My, Dawn....this is just what I needed to read! I have been changing my lifestyle since March of this year and overall have lost about 62 lbs. I would still like to lose 60 more....for the last 6 weeks or so, things have leveled into a plateau and I haven't been losing much...like only 3 or 4 pounds. I do know that I absolutely must incorporate more exercise into my life and some strength training for toning. Maybe that will help push me into the weight loss again.

Your post really inspired me...I am really determined this time! And, this gave me the motivation to "know" that I can do it!!

Thank You so much for sharing....

Tracy said...

Well, some of us always knew you were beeyootiful. You were always the hotness. Now you're just sssmokin'. I'll have to send Nate over in one of his 49 fireman hats to put you out.
xxxoo